As a carer you may find yourself caring for a baby or child whose mother used substances during pregnancy.
This course aims to provide you with a broader knowledge on the effects of substance abuse on a newborn baby. The group of mothers and families who fit in to this group make up only a small percentage of total births in Australia each year.
This course covers:
- The types of substances that are commonly used by women during pregnancy.
- How these substances affect the growing baby.
- The supports and types of treatments available.
- The care of the baby following birth.
- The care of the baby in the long term.
- 3 case studies of women who used illicit substances during pregnancy, their journey through the hospital system during pregnancy and the outcome for them and their baby.